Cancer Journeys Foundation King & Queen of the Mountain Competition – the 2020 Edition
2020 Alpine Loop Gran Fondo KOM/QOM Competitions
2019 marked the 9th edition of the King and Queen of the Mountain (KOM / QOM) cycling awards at Jeremiah Bishop’s Alpine Loop Gran Fondo in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The Alpine Loop Gran Fondo also is one of our best fundraising programs and generates several thousand dollars each year to support cancer survivors.
Every September we sponsor the Alpine Loop Gran Fondo with Jeremiah and Erin Bishop. And every year 500+ cyclists descend on the Shenandoah Valley to test themselves against some of West Virginia’s most challenging hills and Virginia’s legendary Reddish Knob, which is a virtual copy of one of the three routes to the top of the iconic Mount Ventoux in France. We award King and Queen of the Mountain jerseys to all USA Cycling age group winners.
Over the past nine years. we have awarded just over 360 KOM and QOM polka dot jerseys. We love awarding these jerseys because the winners demonstrate the #NeverGiveUp! spirit that cancer survivors need to have on their cancer journeys.
A KOM and QOM Competition in Your Neck of the Woods
But not everyone can make it to Virginia to compete for one of these coveted jersey – and we don’t now how Covid-19 will affect our 2020 10th anniversary ride – so we created a competition using our friend Strava.com. We taking segment nominations now, with final selection on June 15th.
Here’s a sample of the kind of climbing segment we’re looking for:
Here are basic rules:
- Cyclists ride a KOM/QOM and/or Sprint segment and record their times on Strava.com. [You can ride a segment as many times as you like during the year.]
- You can submit for favorite segment for inclusion in the event – http://bit.ly/2020KOMandSprintChallenge. Why not submit a segment you are confident to win:-)?
- The cost to participate is just a $10 donation that goes to supporting our cancer survivor programs.
- Participants can ride one or all of the routes as many times as they like during the year – the season ends on 12/31/2020.
- On January 3, 2020, we will review each segment on Strava.com and award King and Queen of the Mountain and Sprint Champion jerseys to the top male and female registered participants in each Strava.com age group for each segment.
- Winners send us a picture in their new KOM/QOM or Sprint jersey and we prepare a local press release.
- Sounds like fun?